I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Avocado



Sorry, I cheated in this post. I haven't cooked anything interesting lately and this post is more about eating than cooking. Thanks for reading even though I have short-changed you.

As many of my readers know, I recently moved to a different part of the world and I am taking small baby steps to discover places to get food products that I am used to eating.

Avocado is one of those food items.

My first exposure to avocado came in the form of this:

 
No, not the brand but avocado in shampoo. Back then, I have no idea it is called an avocado. I didn't even know it is something that you eat. All I knew was that it is something that you put  exclusively in the shampoo. Took me a while to embrace avocado as a food product, thanks to my Hispanic friends who eat avocado on a daily basis.

Initially, I didn't like the mushy consistency of an avocado and I shunt guacamole.

source: http://www.basilmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Copy-of-Guac.puregoodness-com.jpg


It was much much later during my sojourn in NYC that I fell in love with avocado and guacamole, because it is everywhere due to a strong Hispanic presence in this city and it is a mainstream food item in NYC.  And quite frankly, avocado taste great!!

I walked by a store the other day and I saw avocados which were imported from Australia. I didn't know the Aussies eat avocado!! The Australia avocados are smaller than Haas avocado.

As I was searching for a picture of an avocado, I came across this. I kid you not, there are these many avocado varieties in Hawaii. Hard to believe.

  source: http://www.timothyarnoldroberts.com/space/Posters/Avocado.jpg

Then I found this picture:

source: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6kbhRdWrnDU/TULaTIe4I/AAAAAAAAAD0/DkBwDgLB34g/s1600/Week+16+Avocado.JPG

as well as photos of pregnant women.

Hey ladies, is it a common thing for doctors to compare the size of your fetus/baby to the size of an avocado???

Doctor: "Hmm...little Timmy is about the size of an almost-ripe avocado."

Told ya, this is a cop-out food blog post.




No comments:

Post a Comment