I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pan Fried Flat Rice Noodle (Char Kueh Teow)



This is my absolute favorite dish in the world. If I am stranded on an island and a genie can only  bring me the same food every day, this is the dish I will get.

I have scouted every restaurant in the city that serve char kueh teow but none were able to satisfy me the way this noodle satisfies me back home.

Feeling frustrated and a little home sick, I have decided to make char kueh teow and I am not ashamed to point it out right now that the char kueh teow that I made is the best I have tasted in NYC.

One of the main challenges of making char kueh teow is getting all the ingredients and prepping them.  The second main challenge is the cooking method. Wok on high heat. There is no alternative. None.

I adapted my recipe from http://rasamalaysia.com/char-kuey-teow/2/ and I have to give most the credit to this site. There are some detail instructions and tips on this site that I strongly suggest that you follow. I will highlight places where I digressed and modified.

Here we go...

Ingredients (2 servings)
1lb. of fresh flat rice noodle
8 shelled shrimp
1.5 chinese sausages, slice diagonally
Big bunch of fresh bean sprout, wash thoroughly
4 stalks of scallion, green part only, cut into 2 inches length
3 gloves of garlic, chopped finely
2 whole eggs

Sauce 
5 tablespoon soy sauce
1.5 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of white pepper powder


Instructions (the sequence of adding each ingredient is essential, it is best to cook char kueh teow one serving at a time)

1. Prepare the mise en place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place. Make sure you have all the main ingredients ready before you start cooking.



2. Mix the sauce together and set aside.
3. Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a wok, set the fire to high.
4. Add half the garlic and stir it for 10 seconds.
5. Add the half the chinese sausage and the shrimp. Cook with the garlic for 30 seconds. Followed by half the chinese bean sprout then half the noodle.



6. Add 2.5 tablespoon of the sauce into the work and stir to mix well.



7. Push the noodle to the side of the wok and crack an egg directly in the middle of the wok.
8. Move the noodle over the egg and wait for 15 seconds.



9. Add half the green scallion and stir the noodle to mix everything well.
10. Serve immediately.



11. Repeat step 3-9 for the second serving.


I absolutely absolutely ABSOLUTELY love what I made. Again, I give much credit to rasamalaysia.com for providing the detail instructions.  From the very first bite to the very last bite, everything spells "home" and "yummy". I had a big satisfaction smile on my face as I enjoyed it. Elation!

I was fortunate to share this dish with a couple of friends and they loved it. I did not add the chili paste, it is optional.  I also did not add the cockle clams because I don't like it. Good luck finding it in north America.
















2 comments:

  1. Egyptian Aura Healing encompasses various approaches, from traditional yogic practices like pranayama to contemporary methods. Whether you seek personal growth, stress reduction, or improved emotional regulation, breathwork training offers a powerful and accessible tool for transformation.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Egyptian Aura Healing is a profound modality that draws upon the ancient wisdom of Egypt to cleanse and balance the human energy field. Rooted in the belief that imbalances in the aura can manifest as physical, emotional, and spiritual ailments, this healing practice utilizes sacred symbols, rituals, and techniques to restore harmony and vitality.


    ReplyDelete