I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meringue Cookie


 
If you have been following this blog since the beginning, perhaps you remember my experience with making Meringue. My first attempt in making meringue failed because I was inexperienced. I have since learned a few things and I have been waiting for the right opportunity to redeem myself. I made Tiramisu cake recently and was left with extra egg whites, and thus an opportunity presented itself.


Ingredients:
3 egg whites
some sugar (this needs to be finely adjusted according to taste)

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 200F. This is one important lesson that I learned from my mistake. You want to bake the meringue at low heat for an extended time.
2. Beat the egg whites with a handheld mixer in a metal bowl. This is something they never emphasize in a recipe book. Never ever beat egg whites in a plastic bowl. There is a reason behind this and it involves some chemistry knowledge. It is too long for me to describe it but if you are curious, simply do some web search.

3. Keep checking the beat egg white until stiff peaks starting to form. Sorry, I don't have the space to describe what a stiff peak is. You can do some homework here.

4. Once stiff peaks are forming, add a couple tablespoon of sugar to the beat egg white and give it an additional mix for a few seconds. The amount of sugar can be adjusted based on your preference.

5. Lay down a piece of parchment paper (ESSENTIAL) on a baking sheet and scoop the meringue on to the baking sheet.

(if you want perfectly shaped meringue, then you will need a pipping bag, the kind people use to apply frosting/icing/whipped cream on top a cake)

6. Bake the meringue for 1 hour. You can take one out to test the doneness.





I only had meringue cookie twice and both times were cookies made by myself so I have no idea how should meringue cookies taste or feel like. This meringue cookie breaks apart easily and tasted like cotton candy. I think I might have used too much sugar because the sugar melts in my mouth and sticks between the teeth.

Second time is a SUCCESS!!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing superb information. Your web site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply couldn’t come across. non stick cookware

    ReplyDelete