I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Artichoke Dip


 

JV planted the seed of making this dish in my head. DC made this dish two days later and I was blown away by how delicious this dish is. The first thing that knocked my socks off was the fragrant of the cheese and then the unique flavor of artichoke. I rarely eat artichoke because if you know this plant, you know that the essence of the plant is the "heart of the artichoke" which takes effort to get to.

Thankfully, you can buy cans of "artichoke heart"!!!!

The recipe that DC used was for spinach and artichoke dip but I omitted the spinach in my dish. The original recipe can be found here  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-artichoke-and-spinach-dip-ii/detail.aspx

Here is my own tweaked-recipe

Ingredients (serves a party of 15-20 people as appetizers)

2 cans of artichoke hearts. Drained and roughly chopped
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese or (1/4 cup of Parmesan + 1/4 cup of Romano cheese) or any cheese you like
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper
2 big tablespoons of regular cream cheese
2 big tablespoons of mayonnaise
Shredded mozzarella cheese


Instructions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
2. Mix all the ingredients together. (except the shredded mozzarella cheese)
3. Transfer this into a medium size baking dish.
4. Spread the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until the mozzarella turns light brown

To me, there is no easier dish than this. Assemble, mix, bake and eat. Melted cheese smells and taste divine. Especially if it is something "pungent" like parmesan cheese. 


The original recipe asked for 1/4 cup of mayonnaise and 8 ounces of cream cheese. This is what gives the dip its smooth and creamy texture and you can scoop it up with chips/toasted crackers.

If you follow my recipe, you will find that it is not as creamy because I reduced the amount of "fat" significantly. However, this artichoke dip is just as good if not healthier. All you need is the help of a fork!

Hope you will one day make this dish for your own party.







No comments:

Post a Comment