I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bell Pepper Beef

Quite frankly, I am not a big fan of Bell Peppers, especially when it is raw. However, I do like the taste of it when it is cooked, especially in a chinese stir fry dish.

So here it is, my version of Bell Pepper Beef.

The Green Party


In additional to bell pepper, I used jalapeno pepper.

Ingredients

Beef (the cut of your choice. I used Flank steak)
Bell Pepper (2-3)
Jalapeno pepper (1)  (this is optional, and the amount is all up to you)
Garlic (a few cloves)
Ginger (thumb size)
Shallots (2-3 small shallots)

soy sauce
salt
black pepper

Methods
1. Slice the beef as thin as you can. The thinner the more tender when it cooks.
2. Remove the seeds from the Bell Pepper and the Jalapeno pepper. Wash, clean and cut into small pieces. I cut my bell pepper length-wise.
3. Chop the garlic, ginger and shallots.



As always, make sure you start with a good size pot/pan

4. Stir fry the garlic, ginger and shallots until fragrance.
5. Add the beef and stir fry, keep the heat as high as possible. (Note: I like to do this in batches so that the beef can be seared evenly. If you add all the beef at once, you will lower the temperature in the pan and your beef will be "simmered" instead of "seared")







Stir Fry in action


 

6. When the beef is half-cooked, add the pepper.
7. Add a splash of soy sauce, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.




8. Keep stirring and frying until the bell pepper and beef are cooked.
So delicious






No comments:

Post a Comment