I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Holy Trinity


Every cuisine in the world has the most basic aromatic ingredients to provide the distinctive flavor. There are usually three basic ingredients and they are called the “Holy Trinity”. For example:

French – butter, butter, butter. Ok, I am just kidding. Celery, onion and carrots
Indian – garlic, ginger, onion
Italian – carrots, onion, celery (very much like the French), and sometimes tomato
Japanese – dashi, mirin amd soy sauce
Korean – garlic, ginseng, kimchi
Mexican – pepper, pepper, pepper.
Spanish – garlic, onion and tomato
Chinese – spring onion, ginger, garlic, and sometimes shallots

I have been going back to my roots of Chinese cooking and it is true, the Chinese “holy trinity” is found in almost every dish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment