I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Homemade oven fries (follow up)

Here are some information after some research. Again, should have done this before attempting any new dish

1) The oven needs to be >400F. I set it at 350F in my first try.
2) It takes about 15 minutes for a gas oven to reach that temperature.
3) Minimum cooking time is 30 minutes

I will also tweak my preparation of the potato

1) Cut it into wedges, not thin slices
2) Toss the wedges in oil and salt, not with brush
3) Lay the wedges skin side down so that they "stand" up like water melon wedges
4) Use a baking sheet, not a cake pan. Cooking sheet has more open space to allow even heat transfer while a cake pan has four sides that only allow heat from the top.


I am excited about doing this again, but I need to get a baking sheet first.

No comments:

Post a Comment